Pergolas are fantastic to look at, help define outdoor sitting space and can be most effective in tempering the extremes of our diverse and ever changing weather conditions. Because of their unique aesthetic appeal, pergolas really allow you to personalize your outdoor living space. Given some basic guidelines, they are relatively easy to build and are highly adaptable to personal preference.
Pergola Construction - Concepts & Design Considerations
- A 12’ diameter appears to provide excellent usable space.
- While 4X4 posts will often suffice to support the structural load, 6X6 posts provide a much more attractive visual effect.
- Sizing of the beams and purlins is as much an art as it is a science. Structural members not only have to be strong enough to support the load; they also have to maintain their shape over time and look right in context of the structure as a whole.
- In turn, the overall proportions of the structure have to suit its surroundings. For this reason alone, heights will often vary (between 8’ to 10’).
- While smooth or planed lumber will work, sawn lumber is often used for architectural effect, adding substance and impact to your structure.