HELPFUL PLAN & DESIGN TOOLS
Plan & Design
Start by gathering some basic information to assist in the planning process, i.e.
- Take a picture of your home where deck is to be built (for visual reference).
- Sketch a basic footprint for the planned deck
- Place a couple of stakes in the ground to help with visualization.
- Make note of any obvious constraints such as elevations, door locations, sidewalks, stairs, etc..
- Determine overall length and layout
- Note post spacing
- Note any obvious changes in grade
- Account for gates and other access requirements
- What will be the most common use (scale/features)
- Consider scale in relation to surrounding structures as well
- Think about how much shade you want (side/top)
- Consider impact of prevailing winds
- Measure length, width and roof overhang of building
- Determine pitch or gable height
- Measure length of ridges, starter, valleys and gables
- Measure length, width and height of building walls to be sided
- Note door and window sizes in consideration for trim
- What is the available space
- How may occupants
- Indoor or outdoor
- Change room
- Electric or wood fueled heater